Collage workshop with Dionisia Salas
Dates & times
Tue 16 March — Tue 23 March 2021, 6.00pm–8.00pm
ANU Drill Hall Gallery
Join artist Dionisia Salas for a 2 hour collage workshop in the Nicole Ellis: Fabrications exhibition.
Bookings on Eventbrite:
Each 2 hour workshop with artist Dionisia Salas explores collage in relation to our current exhibition Fabrications, which covers 30 years of the Sydney-based artist Nicole Ellis’ art-making. The workshops will investigate how collage engages with surface, edge and shape, while being a direct means to consider composition and colour relationships.
The exhibition surveys Ellis’s rich and complex involvement with collage, assemblage and found materials. Fastidiously selected textiles comprise the “palettes” and provide tones and textures that she moulds into consistently beautiful, poised, luminous compositions.
“I enjoy incidental elements,” Ellis explains, “flaws, traces of human touch and gesture, and I seek out different assemblage techniques through experimentation and research. I enjoy the qualities of the worn, aged, broken, torn, the seeming casual, the imperfect, traces of paint and reversals.”
However, as critic Anna Johnson has observed, Ellis’s method of generating images is “riven with quiet reversals”:
Nicole Ellis, Fabrications is curated by Tony Oates
Tickets include a glass of wine. Please bring your own scissors, paper and any materials you may like to collage with including fabric off-cuts, recycled papers, found objects.
Feel free to contact us for more details on materials: firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshops are limited 10 participants.
More information on Nicole Ellis can be found at:
Essential information for visitors to the Drill Hall Gallery in relation to COVID-19
For your safety the Drill Hall Gallery will be following guidelines, recommendations and enforceable public health directions published by ACT Health and Safework Australia. We will be collecting contact tracing information from all visitors to the gallery.
To ensure a safe and healthy environment while visiting the Drill Hall Gallery at this time we request that you:
- Stay at home if you’re unwell.
- Stay at home if you’ve been in contact with a known or suspected COVID-19 case.
- Stay home if you have recently been in a COVID affected area and are required to by the ACT Government: https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/updates/covid-19-affected-areas
- Practice good hand hygiene and cough etiquette.
- Utilise hand sanitisers provided at the entrance of the gallery.
- Assist our staff in filling out your contact tracing information on entry and exit from the gallery. If possible please register on arrival using the Check in CBR app. You can also check in manually.
- Maintain 1.5 metres distance from other visitors and staff.
- Comply with the number restrictions clearly signposted in each of the gallery spaces.
- Comply with any written or verbal directions from staff.
- Use contactless payment for any purchases made at the Drill Hall Gallery.
- Consider downloading the COVIDSafe app if you haven’t already.
For ANU related COVID information visit: https://www.anu.edu.au/covid-19-advice
Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we appreciate your help in keeping our community safe during this time.